Thursday 24 April 2014

i work all day with talented women

I'm not one of your fancy types. I go to work to pay my rent and so on. Because of the casual nature of my job, a lot of the people who I work with are creative people like me. Moreover, the majority of them are women. I've been gradually getting to know everyone and their work and I have been consistently blown away by their talent.

I think that most of them would define what they do as 'fine art', which is not a world that I have much formal knowledge of, but I am (sadly) not surprised to learn that it is still a fairly sexist and retrograde industry. 

My personal experience of who is making the best culture right now is not what I see in the majority of galleries and is certainly not what is making the big money. No doubt things are better than they were. But there is still a way to go. 

so here is a list of some of the talented young women who I have the privilege of working with. I hope they don't mind my posting these images. I found them legitimately on the internet. I hope it doesn't come across as patronising either. I can honestly say that all of the people listed have made at least one piece of work that has stopped me in my tracks. 




Critical Studies Presentation by hilde krohn huse
Eyes of Sand by hanne lillee
The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, (Man Cave) by athena papadopoulos

from Games by karis clapperton

cecily tattersall



No comments: